Sunday, May 10, 2015

Stoned wall part one - weekend two

 

Getting Stoned....

  As a high school kid I spent a summer building stone walls. Not remembering how back breaking it was I decided to make it my weekend project at the new house. Raised garden beds with a Connecticut Stone retaining wall to create a presence for our simple Four Square Mansard Style home. First step aligning the path around the house - I used a simple hemp string and some misc. wooden stakes from old strapping removed from the interior renovations.



Then I got to play in a machine. Perks of having an unsung hero of New England Storms as a fiance. Piling dirt along the foundation that will act as the base layer of earth for the retaining wall. The curved line of the stone wall at the front of the house was a design decision based on Feng Shui principals. A curved pathway to a home is preferred as it redirects negative energy. I don't have the luxury of that at this property so I thought by creating a curve a cross the front of the house it would be my compromise. The stone wall now at 50% will run along side the house with a side entry from a home office and the garden beds will be complete with a shade garden. Likely come fall due to exterior siding upgrades needed. Check out pictures on Instagram- HouseofDietrich. Still to lame and behind the times to upload photos here.... embarrassed party of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment